Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Mystery Stole 3

Have you ever seen any of Melanie Leesburg's designs? She has some fabulous patterns at her site Pink Lemon Twist. I particularly love Leda's Dream and Moon Dance Shawls. She is so talented that I just had to join her Mystery Stole 3 KAL. It is my first that I have ever done and it was a wonderful learning experience. I grabbed my needles and yarn, and followed along, blindly, each week as a new clue was revealed.
Clue 1 thru 4....
I loved this. It had a wonderful point, a delightful pattern and it was the first time that I had ever worked with beads.

Then, Clue 5...
The stole began an abrupt turn and a totally different pattern was emerging. I didn't think that I was going to like a shawl that was asymmetrical, but to keep with the "spirit" of the mystery, I plodded along. Heck, what did I have to lose? A little time? And, I just might like it.

Clue 5 thru 7....
I really like the pattern that she put together for the "wing". Unusual, and stunning.

The finished shawl (unblocked).....
Here it is, draped across my bed. Disappointment sets in. I paraded around, trying desperately, to imagine the beauty of it. It is gawd awful! What was the girl thinking? It looks like the Sesame Street song, "Which of the two is unlike the other? Which of the two doesn't belong?" They are both truly beautiful patterns, by themselves. But, they just do not belong together. Please, do not get the impression that this is a feeble attempt at bashing Melanie. This is my humble opinion, and only my humble opinion. I think she is a very talented designer. And as a designer, you will come up with a design that some will love, and some will hate. I believe that this is that one.
I will be frogging the "wing" and making another half consisting of clue 1 - 4 and graft the two together. Heck, I might even do yet another shawl using just the wing pattern.

Thank you Melanie. I might not have liked the finished product, but I did learn so much and really did appreciate all the time and effort that you have given, freely, to this KAL.
An aside:
Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy (hemp/cotton blend)
Color: White Beach
Yardage: 1,071 (7 skeins)
Needles: Size 6 Denise

3 comments:

dorothy in wyoming said...

Oh I am sooooo glad to read that some one else agrees with me about the latest mystery stole. Either pattern by its self would be lovely but the combination is IMHO icky it simply does not work for me.

Toni said...

I totally agree with you! I was so appalled by the wing that I sent pictures of someone's finished stole around to my friends to see if anyone at all liked it. I always intended mine as a gift, but not an ugly gift. One person (out of 50) likes it, so I'll finish the thing & give it to her, but I think it's horrible and don't think I'll be doing MS4. I enjoyed doing the project, but I don't trust Melanie's judgment enough to do another.

knitabulous said...

I fully agree with you on the abrupt and let's face it, odd, twist in the pattern. I love the theme, love the notion of an unusual garment, and really really wanted to love the MS3 but alas I am unable to.

You're right, the symmetrical one will be much nicer. And to be honest, the swan lake theme was a bit tenuous in the majority of the shawl, except of course the WING!(?!!), so you're not really deviating from the spirit of the pattern.

Myself, I got up to the wing part and just froze - I applaud you for giving it a full chance.