SECRET PAL 8 questionnaire:
Here are my responses for the questionnaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don't have any particular brands, per se, but I do adore working with soft, scrumptuous yarns, like merino, cashmere. As a fairly new knitter, I am still experimenting and discovering all fibers. NO, NO, NO, NO Lion Brand Homespun or Red Heart Acrylics, or Foo-Foo of any sort.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have two holders. My first was the luxurious Lantern Moon needle holder that I bought for myself. It is amply large enough to adequately organize all my needle needs and other "stuff". My second, was made for me by a very special friend. She knitted it, felted it and lined it in an outrageous vintage Hawaiian fabric.
3. How long have you been knitting?
I began knitting in January 2005.
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Can I add another choice? I consider myself to be adventurous. I just love all the truly remarkable challenges that knitting affords me. If I had stayed within a particular category, ie beginner, etc., I would have never attempted my first aran sweater after only been knitting for 3 months!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
This is it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1RZLJWFFAI328/102-4845485-4696947
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love fresh, clean scents, like citrus. I just discovered a new fragrance that I love.. Lavender. A friend sent me a few sachets that she made with lavender from her garden. It makes my yarn smell so fabulous.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh, yes! I love chocolate, especially white chocolate.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have done and tried it all, from needlework, quilting, painting, stained glass, basketmaking, etc. I love being able to immerse myself in the process of creating things. I haven't done spinning... yet!
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like classic rock (Jimmy Buffet, Eagles, Grateful Dead, Traveling Wilbury's, Tom Petty) and today's rock (Dave Matthew's, Mighty Mighty Bosstones). I can't stand rap and hip-hop.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love rich, saturated, earthy tones. My palette can span the entire spectrum as long as its fully saturated color... from deep greens, to burgandys, to blues. I abhor pastels!
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married to my best friend of 28 years. He recently retired from FDNY and we are now living at the beach, enjoying life. We have 4 grown children, ages 25, 24, 23 and 21. No grandchildren yet, unless you count Zelia and Lucy, my son's retrievers. We have two dogs, Samantha, a golden and Skeeter, a bischon with a horrid Napoleon complex.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves.. yes! Hats.. Sometimes! Mittens.. No need. Ponchos.. Not since the 70's.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love knitting it all, from scarves, to lace shawls, to sweaters, to shells, to hats, to socks.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I am currently working on the Kiri shawl.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Oh, yes! Please!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
It is all according to what I am making. For circulars, I love my Addi's and for straights, I love my Crystal Palace bamboos.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, and yes.
17. How did you learn to knit?
Self taught with the assistance of on-line tutorials and fantastic knitting forums.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I don't have any. I am afflicted with OCD.. and have to finish everything.
19. What is your favorite holiday?
Oh, that has got be Christmas.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect handmade baskets (sweetgrass, etc) and German Nutcrackers.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a weakness for scrumptious yarns, any yarn. I don't have a subscription to any particular magazine. I like going to B&N and browsing through them before I buy. I recently discovered Rowan magazines (where have I been!)
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I love it all... from cables, to lace. My next challenge will be spinning, but I really don't want to start that for quite some time.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes! I wear size 10 shoes! Yes, I do have big feet!
24. When is your birthday?